"Amanda’s academics are far superior than other children her age, and we feel we have an extension of our own family through First Lutheran."
Tonya Knopps, FLS parent
"As an upper grades teacher, I get to see how well our students do in high school after their education here. They’re usually pretty advanced and have a fairly solid foundation. I love it when former students come back and say how easy high school is, because I know it’s in large part due to the education they’ve received here."
Jenny Cooper, former FLS teacher
"For the Lord gives wisdom, and from His mouth comes knowledge and understanding." Proverbs 2:6
First Lutheran School was founded upon the firm foundation of God’s Word and promise. The Christian faith is integrated throughout the entire range of subjects for all ages.
The curriculum at FLS is a unique combination of the Core Knowledge program and the guidelines of the State of Tennessee. Core Knowledge is a grade-by-grade core of common learning that’s necessary to ensure a sound and fair education. When it is combined with the state guidelines, we have a curriculum that far exceeds what is necessary for elementary education. Dr. Hirsch, founder of Core Knowledge, has argued that, for the sake of academic excellence, greater fairness and higher literacy, early schooling should provide a solid, specific, shared core curriculum in order to help children establish strong foundations of knowledge.
First Lutheran School is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools and the National Lutheran Schools Association. Our students consistently score high on tests like the Gateway, a proficiency exam normally given to high school students to show that they’re ready for college. (Most FLS eighth-graders pass at the advanced level.) Students in all grade levels are consistently about the national mean in standardized testing in every subject area from vocabulary to math.
Two of our K-8 teachers have masters' degrees, and their average years of experience is 18. Our ECE's average years of experience is 10 (16 on the senior staff). All of our teachers and ECE staff continue their education and training in order to remain fresh and innovative in the classroom.. Read more about our teachers.
- Religion: Bible, memory work, Christian doctrine and confirmation class for 8th grade
- Language Arts: Reading skills, grammar, spelling, handwriting, literature, and writing
- Mathematics: General arithmetic, pre-algebra, and algebra
- Science: General science, basic biological science, earth science, and physical science
- Social Studies: History, world geography, governments, and cultures
- Fine Arts: Music, art, and drama
- Foreign Language: Spanish
- Computer: Basic knowledge of computers, keyboarding, and use of current software programs
- Health: Exercise, nutrition, and sex education
- Physical Education: Muscle development, motor skills, basic games, and sports
Read more about our academic programs in Early Childhood Education, Grade School, and Middle School.
Download our curriculum information by grade (PDF)